Wednesday, March 21, 2012

1989 Cavalier Z24 Restoration Project

1989 Cavalier Z24 Restoration Project

An '89 Cavalier Z24 was my first car. I remember driving to the Columbus, Ohio dealership (Quality Chevrolet on Morse Road) on January 20, 1990 to pick it up. It was my first new car, when I was just a young 'un at 18 1/2 years old. Come on- of course I'm going to remember the exact date. The exact car is another question. My original Z24 lasted about 15 years. Although I tried to take good care of it- regular oil changes, rinsing the underside to remove winter salt, tire rotations, etc.- the car still bit the dust. It had been through a lot- a couple break-ins, as well as the final straw, some kid hitting it as it sat parked on the street. I had no idea that a little over 22 years since my first new car, that I'd have acquired another one. This one is a restoration project. I should've kept a video journal, but, like a kid in a candy store, I was eager to get things moving. I didn't want to slow myself down with video-ing and logging every detail. What you see in this video! is the nearly-complete restoration. Plenty had been done: a new paint job, a replacement engine, purchase of an original set of rims and center pieces (from the same seller who furnished the engine), and a number of other upgrades and replacement parts. The only real difference between this one and my original first car is that my first car was a hard top, it was maroon, and it had an analog instrument cluster. These three primary differences can be seen in the car in this video. I should also mention ...





0 comments: